Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bad Writing Response

I believe the filmmaker of Bad writing was trying to communicate the art of writing.  He goes through many examples of how he believed he was the greatest poet on the earth at one point. I think he does this to show us all that at certain times in our life we can get in a flow of good writing and think we are on our way and then in an instant our writing can turn to crap and we might not even notice right away.  It shows us to take each piece of writing at a time and not to get ahead of ourselves and when we fail, to get back up and keep writing, no matter what. 
The most important things I learned from the film were simple things. The biggest thing I learned from the film is I am allowed to suck at writing. Also that just because you think you can write and actually write something good, doesn't mean it's actually true. The film shows how reading someones writing is like strolling through an art gallery. Everyone sees the same thing just everyone has their own view on it. I think there is bad writing and then there is writing that the individual doesn't relate to because it was not targeting them. Both can be misinterpreted as bad writing but there is a major difference and that is one thing we have to think about as advertisers as we target different demographics.
The concepts I learned that I can apply to writing for advertising is the quote he used, "Good writing is when the reader can find a little space to put themselves into and interact with the story". I love this because it reminds me that good advertising doesn't just tell you what to think. It leaves that little gap for you to jump across and feel like you were the one who got it, and didn't have to be told what to think like an idiot!

No comments:

Post a Comment